Sunday, March 9, 2008

Weekend of the Woman


I feel like i didn't do a ton this last weekend. Who knows? Maybe as I look back it will feel like more.
Friday I had to move out of my flat in the suburbs and move to a flat in the Campo di Fiori/Ghetto area. I was supposed to move into a flat in Trastevere. However, the woman I rented the apartment from, sprung it on me a couple of days before that she was no longer renting that apartment. She had decided that it wasn't safe to rent or comfortable for visitors because it was located by a prison. Good reason. However, she never contacted me or filled me in until I called her to arrange for the keys to my place. She was putting me in this other apartment instead. She also sprung it on me that I'd only be here for 4 nights and then move to another flat. The other flat is also in Campo di Fiori. None of this is horrible news it's just not what I had arranged or wanted and this woman acted like it's no big deal to change everything around. I did want to stay in Trastevere. Oh well. It's across the river.
After I moved into the flat and settled in, I met up with other students for a Friday night out on the town. We met at Termini and were then all going together to another students house. A few people were late and by the time it was all said and done we left Termini an hour later than planned. We got to Yung-ho's (a fellow student) neighborhood and met him at the metro stop. He didn't want to spend much for dinner so we all made our way to a neighborhood pizza spot. The only thing I really wanted was to have a nice dinner. I've eaten at home all week and was looking to Friday for a treat. At this point I had to go with the crowd. The pizza was bad. We hung out at Yung-ho's for a few hours enjoying everyone's company. By about 2am, the majority headed back to centro. Me, Sophia (Oxford), Hector (Mexican), and Estrelle (Spain) all headed back in a taxi with the intention of hitting a new hotspot - La Maison. The night ended shortly after that for me and Hector. The girls were attempting to get into La Maison and Hector wasn't allowed due to the excess number of males already in the club. I didn't need to beg to get into a club so I called it a night.

Saturday was a special day in Rome. Day of the Woman or something like that. I had no idea until I decided to visit Castel San Angelo (first photo). There was a sign saying women were free for the day. Apparently that was the case all over the city and other celebrations were also happening. Very cool. Saturday night I just had a casual dinner out with Sophia and Eleanor. Coordinating two people was much easier than Friday's attempt at coordinating eight people.


Sunday morning I got up early and met Eleanor and John in Trastevere to hit the flea market. It's huge. It goes on forever. Booth after booth selling everything from scissors, sponges, jewelry, clothing, tools, batteries, and antiques. It was a great site but I didn't find too much to buy. I needed a battery for my watch and was able to buy 10 for 1 Euro. A steal! I also bought a little massage device for my aching feet. Eleanor purchases a few gifts for family members and John bought sponges. The clothing was a little tacky (see picture of Fat Albert jeans).

I was loving the chandeliers but alas I'm homeless and fitting it in my suitcase might be problematic since I'm already over my weight limit.

No comments: