Friday, March 14, 2008

Living la dolce vita


The week has been flying by and I'm pleased to report that there hasn't been another sleep walking episode. Whew!
The last few days have been pretty packed and Joe and I have gotten into a comfortable rhythm with the Italian tradition of eating a big lunch followed by a big nap. I haven't been napping as often as he has, possibly because I don't have jet lag or I'm not as drunk. Not sure which. Anyway, it might not be possible for me to nap due to the thunderous, beast-like sound that Joe emits when he sleeps. I'm starting to wonder if it's a family trait to snore. I'm aware that both my sister Peggy and my mom snore. I have been told that I snore a little too although I'm praying it is nothing like the snarling cacophony that comes out of Peggy and Joe. I digress.

Over the last couple of days Joe and I have spent the afternoon grabbing lunch and seeing some sights. On Wednesday we met up and did a little walking around. We started with Portico d'Ottavia which is located behind the Museo d'arte Ebraica - Jewish Museum. The portico was built in the 1st century ad by Emperor Augustus for his sister Octavia.

After that we viewed largo di Torre Argentina ruins. It was getting dark but we could clearly make out the thousands of cats roaming the ruins. Apparently there is a shelter there for them. Not too shabby for a stray. It's possible that they spend more money on maintaining the shelter there than the archaeological sites.
After that we headed to Il Gesu which is the flagship (do you say this in this case) church for the Jesuits. We headed inside and the church was phenomenal. Joe immediately commented that this was probably where his money went. Never fear Mom - I lite a candle for you AND Joe wants to go to church on Sunday. GASP!

On Thursday, we met up for lunch in the neighborhood near Termini where there are a few international restaurants. I thought maybe Joe could get his fix of middle eastern cuisine. Allora, we went to an Italian restaurant. After lunch we headed to Santa Maria Maggiore which is another massive church built on the site where Mary predicted snow to fall the next morning. Who knew Mary had a meteorology background? I covered my bases and went ahead and lite another candle here.
Today is Friday - yeah! We had lunch in a Trastevere neighborhood Sicilian restaurant. Have I mentioned how excited I am for my trip to Sicily in April? I'm so excited and this restaurant made my expectations grow. Who knows how Sicilian it was but it was just such a nice lunch that it made me excited for more lovely lunches on my travels down south.
I arrived at the restaurant to find Joe in the midst of lunch. He had ordered veal saltimbocca, lasagna, insalate caprese, and Sicilian sausage. We also were given some roasted potatoes to go along with the sausage. We finished things off with an AMAZING dessert wine of almonds. YUM! We also had cannoli and panna cotta. No dinner for me.
Tonight we are meeting up with the kids (20 year olds) for a drink or two and send a couple of them back home. Mai is returning to Japan and Nadia is returning to Switzerland.
Tomorrow we hope to go to Pompeii for the day but I still need to arrange the whole thing. We're going the low impact route and joining a tour bus instead of taking the train down.
I've got to nap now.

No comments: