Monday, March 3, 2008

I am not 20.


I went out with my little gang for dinner and drinks on Thursday night. Myra, the (self proclaimed) spoiled daddy’s girl, had gone to dinner the previous night at some restaurant that she said was really good. So, I thought maybe we could all take her suggestion and go there together for dinner but shame on me for not thinking this through. I was trying to be nice.

Myra (see self portrait of me and Myra), I have witnessed, is a picky eater. I watched her take her pizzette, two flat pieces of pizza folded over like a sandwich, and remove everything that was inside it. She also told me she loved sushi but not the fish. Really just the hand rolls with rice in them.
Anyway, we went to a restaurant that was very near the Pantheon. Right then you know it will be expensive. I ordered a steak because I’ve had enough carbs to last me for the rest of my life. It was Euro 20. That’s a pretty nice steak. Not really though. It was good and fine but not a Ruth Chris steak. Anyway, long story short the food wasn’t that great and it was very expensive. No more dining suggestions from Myra. I was so excited to eat out too. I’ll have to wipe this memory away with a better dinner somewhere else. That should be achievable.
After dinner we went to a club where John is going to work as a bartender part time. They were having an all you can drink special for people that came in before Midnight. John wanted to take advantage of this special. We went to the bar and ordered something and found a spot to hang out. John was soon going back and forth to the bar to “stock up” on drinks before the special ran out. When I went to the bar another time I got a chance to witness the two-toed sloth’s working as bartenders. This is how they run the special. Get people in but then take 20 minutes to mix a vodka and soda. Seriously. They took that long.
Before long John was showing, what he had previously advised me and Eleanor to watch out for, the droopy eye. If he got the droopy eye it was time for him to go home. By a little after 2am he had the droopy eye and it was time to go. I however didn’t realize how late it was until I got home. It was almost 3am. I am too old to go out on a school night, stay out that late, and get up in the morning four hours later. I can’t do it. My companions bounce out of bed in the morning as if nothing ever happened. I’m completely useless if I don’t sleep eight hours. I have to remind myself that I’m not 20 years old. I need sleep and going out on a school night for anything other than dinner or a show is now prohibited.
I don’t want to be 20 years old either. I really prefer being where I am now and one reason is because I don’t feel like I have to go out to a club during the week or the weekend. I’m really okay with staying home and getting up early to go sightsee.
I do like my young group of friends. It’s helping me to remember to play and have fun while I’m here. I just have to remember to balance that out with other things and that I’m not 20.
(last picture is of Hector, Eleanor, and John)

No comments: