Saturday, April 12, 2008

Valle dei Templi (or Valley of the Temples)

I went this morning to see this site. Now this is what I call a ruin! It was incredible and expansive. It reminded me a little bit, in scope, of Balbek in Beirut.
The photos are of the Tempio dei Dioscuri (Castor & Pollux), Temple of Hercules, and Temple of Concordia is the big one. It was built around 440bc, transformed into a Christian church and then reverted back to a temple a long time ago. I can't remember when but it was during one of the Pope Gregory's.
There really isn't a lot to say so I'll just post pictures. I also added some photos of the surrounding area which is beautiful. The whole place smelled like jasmine and there were olive and almond trees everywhere. It was really, really lovely.







No comments: