Thursday, April 10, 2008

Itchy Feet


Well, I decided it's time to move again. Although I had the option to connect with that girl from Vancouver and stay at her place in Siracusa, we haven't been able to connect. She doesn't have a phone so it's a game of email tag. I decided that there are too many other things I want to do and see so it's time to go.
Siracusa is a nice little spot. In particular, I stayed in the area called Ortygia. It's really cute with lots of narrow winding streets and friendly people. I haven't been feeling too great the last couple of days so I didn't do a lot here. I spent a lot of time wandering the narrow streets and getting some sun on my face.

I've sampled the local gelato (really good), orange granita, and had some local dishes. Today for lunch I had pasta with a pistachio cream sauce. Yum.
On the topic of food, I've noticed a new addition to my bread since Giardini-Naxos...sesame seeds. I'm totally intrigued by this addition. I don't know very much about the journey of food and plants to various countries. I find it really interesting too. If anyone knows of a good book that talks about this history, I would love to read it.
I also made my way to a major archeological site located here - Parco Archeologio della Neapolis. There is a huge Greek theater here from the 5th-century-BC.
Another site here is the cathedral that was formally the Temple of Athena. It was converted to a church when St. Paul was on his evangelizing mission here. It's very interesting to see the temple within the walls of the church.


Tomorrow I will grab a very slow train from here back to Catania (nuts) and then on to Agrigento on the West coast. There is another massive ruin there and I'm excited to see the African influence that is a part of this area.

No comments: