Monday, April 14, 2008

There's a new kid in town

The last couple of stops have been in pretty small towns, population of about 50,000. That sounds like a pretty good size still but it's small enough to be noticed and small enough to know that you don't live there. Plus, I don't think that they are used to seeing as many tourists. Taormina has a population of 10,000 and Giardini-Naxos was 9000 but these towns see tourists all the time. They could have cared less about me.
I have gotten a lot more attention in the last two places.
When I arrived in Agrigento, shortly after checking into my B&B, I went for a walk down the main drag to see the town. I was just wandering but decided to look at my map and see where I was. As I was reviewing my position, a guy showed up and started to talk to me. I told him I only spoke a little Italian and he told me the Cathedral was behind me and up the stairs and started to rattle off some other sights for me. I said thanks and that I just wanted to know where I was currently. He asked where I was from and when I said the U.S. he then asked New York or San Francisco. When I said no to both of those options, he walked away. He kind of gave me the creeps and I couldn't figure out why. As I was walking back towards the center I realized I'd seen him before and I think it was when I first arrived and walked down the street. So then I was wondering, did he follow me or is this just random. A couple of days later, I made my way to the bus station. I had to buy a ticket to get to Mazara and thought I'd get it done first thing since everything is closed and I had nothing else to do. Well, the ticket office was closed too. I started to head back to the main drag (all of this is maybe a quarter of a mile apart). As I was walking this car starts to slow down along the road and the driver is craning his head back to look at me. I'm totally used to this here. It happens ALL the time. They have to check me out. I am wearing a rainbow colored afro after all so I'm a peculiar site. Anyway, the driver of this car continues to crane his neck around and is driving/crawling along the road. Cars are passing and honking. It's a Sunday morning. No one is out and everything is closed except for a couple of coffee shops. At this point, all the 1980's Lifetime movies I've ever seen start flooding my memory. He isn't driving a windowless van at least so if he does try to kidnap me, people will see me. His windshield isn't cracked either which was always a dead giveaway of a kidnapper. Vans without windows & a broken windshield. (I'm sure I saw some after school special when I was little and the bad guy had this car.) I decide to cut through a parking lot, thinking I'll evade him this way. He turns up the road along the parking lot. He is honking his horn and still looking back at me. I continue along the curb and walk straight towards a police officer. I look him straight in the eye and give a little "buongiorno" along with the international look of "some crazy guy is following me". I walk past him and into a coffee shop where I figure I'll order something and sit down. I've eluded him. He'll never find me here, in one of the two coffee shops in town and opened on Sunday. Well, he never did find me in there unless he came in and turned around and left. I have no idea who it was in the car. I don't know anyone in this town. Well, after I leave the coffee shop and head back down the main drag for lap number 5, I see the same crazy guy from my first day, or actually he sees me and says "ciao". Ewww. Was he the guy in the car?? Who knows. I am leaving.
Now I've been in Mazara the last two days and this town is the same size although it's more spread out. I am definitely an interesting attraction for everyone but I haven't had anyone following me. I was supposed to meet up with Antonello who is a friend of Antonello from Vienna who is from this town. He is the reason I came to this little spot. I had hoped that he would come to town while I was here and maybe I'd have a more local influence to my visit but it didn't work out. Anyway, Antonello #2 came by my hotel this morning and we made plans (in Italian) to meet at 5pm for a walk. I went to meet him and he wasn't there. So, something didn't translate or something happened. Anyway, I did my 3rd lap of the main drag and called it a night. There isn't a lot to see here but it's a nice little town.
Today I am off to Trapani for a couple of nights and then I am going to one of the Egadi islands off the west coast, Favignana. There are so many islands I would like to visit around Sicily but I don't think I'll make a small dent in the list. I haven't felt like rushing around on this trip so I will see what I see and maybe I come to visit again.

No comments: