Friday, April 11, 2008

Agrigento!


I arrived in Agrigento early this evening, around 5pm. My train ride across Sicily was actually really nice. I wasn't in a nasty regional train but something that they call "minuetto". It's about 3 cars and is more like an airport express train, except that I had a 3 1/2 hour trip. The ride was really pretty and the countryside was beautiful. I was in love with the view so I attempted some pictures out my train window.
I've only seen a small stretch of this town so far but what I've seen and felt, I love. I was curious how much African influence I would see along this coast. I wasn't sure if it was just certain towns, a little bit everywhere, or something unexpected. The moment I made my way onto the main street to get to my B&B, I saw a very gorgeous and tall African woman wearing a beautiful yellow headscarf and matching dress. I don't know if there is a proper name for her attire. Clothes? She was walking with her young boy who was waving to two small boys walking in front of me, who also looked like they were of African descent.
It was a pretty hot and humid day so I really just took a shower and went out to dinner. I had such a great meal. I went to a restaurant close to my B&B. I was feeling lazy and tired and still fighting this cough/flu.
I started with fried cheese! I haven't had fried cheese in awhile. It's a typical Greek dish. They didn't say "opah" when they brought it out but it didn't matter. It was so good. There is a lot of Greek influence of this area of Sicily as well as the east coast. I'm not sure if the entire area has Greek influence or just particular coastal towns. I'll know more soon.
I had grilled swordfish for my main dish. It was so good. I ate it so fast. I was really wanting more and I know it's horrible to say in a place with so many good meals but I want to go back and do a repeat of the same meal.
Tomorrow I will visit the Temple of the Valley which is a World Heritage site, like many of my recent stops. It is supposed to be phenomenal and expansive. I'll try to take good pictures.

No comments: