Friday, February 8, 2008

Faschnitzels!

That's Snoop Dogg German for "I am so freaking excited to eat schnitzel". I arrived in Vienna about 3 hours ago. I think eating Schnitzel and knodel are #1 on my list. I haven't had a good version of either since about 1984. My brother Joe spent a year in Germany during high school and introduced our family to knodel and brats. I don't expect there is much difference between German schnitzel and knodel but I'll be sure to report back if there is a difference. I'm sure each country would say that there is a difference and that their's is the best and the other country is crap. However, I think Germany and Austria pretty much say that about everything when each other is involved.
So, other than my dinner plans, I am coming to terms with the surprise I encountered upon my arrival here. I've been communicating with the owner of the apartment I rented for about a month. He's Italian and very sweet and very enthusiastic to talk to me often. He's married, fyi. Anyway, I got here and he picked me up at the train station and we walked a couple of blocks to the apartment. When we got into the apartment I was immediately very confused. There was stuff EVERYWHERE. Personal stuff. He had mentioned that he had 3 apartments and I thought I caught something about showing me his apartment and then mine? I don't know but I was confused. He's showing me around the kitchen, living room, etc. He keeps telling me how Barbara, his wife is going to be around to help me if I need anything. I'm starting to think he means she'll be very close and very around. Yeah. Then he shows me my bedroom. He's rented me a room in his apartment to share with his wife. He's going out of town for the weekend so it's just us. Shared apartment and shared bath. Surprise! He never once mentioned a "shared" situation. I was so tired when he told me this I didn't know what to say or do. I think fully rested I probably wouldn't have been so frazzled by this news. However, I slept about 4 1/2 hours last night which happened mostly before midnight so I am TIRED! Anyway, I'm sure it will be fine but it wasn't really what I was expecting at all. Part of me wants to run screaming somewhere a little more private but it's super cheap and I think that is winning right now. Plus, I'll really only sleep, shower, and eat breakfast there for four nights. What if I had planned to stay here for 14 nights like he mistakenly thought when we first talked. Ack!!! It's like staying at a bread and breakfast. I don't love those.

1 comment:

MikeD said...

give your new wife a kiss. i hope she doesn't stink up your bathroom. :-) that is too funny. sounds like an adventure already. dont eat too many austrian weiners, it might get around Rome! -M