Friday, February 15, 2008

All cultured up and ready to go

Today is my last day in Prague. I leave hours before the crack of dawn tomorrow. I'm definitely ready to move on. I've skewed the average for number of days a tourist stays here. My tour guide told me one day was average.

So, two nights ago I treated myself to a performance at the National Theatre. The theater is famous for opera, plays, and ballets. It was built in the 19th century and has a GOLD roof. Literally gold. Not paint. They were performing Carmen which I had never seen and had no idea I knew so many songs from it. It was pretty good. The singers did a great job. I did feel a little like I was watching a high school play though. You know when you go to a high school play and there is one or two really good performers but the rest of the production isn't so hot? People falling over each other, curtain not coming down in time, set changes are a little off? It was a bit like that.
Last night I celebrated Valentine's Day by taking myself to the Rudolfinum which is where the Czech Philharmonic orchestra performs. That was really good. The musicians were amazing. The song choices for last night were so-so. This is Dvorak land but they didn't have him on the agenda last night. It was all Beethoven I think.
I also saw the Old Jewish Cemetery yesterday. I had heard it was very interesting and it definitely was although smaller than I expected.

Today I'm feeling a little out of things to do. I did take the funicular up to Petrin Hill. It's a nice view of the city and an easy walk back down after taking in the view. The view is a bit hard to see once you get up there because there's this massive wall that blocks your view unless you go up the mini Eiffel Tower. The wall is called the Hunger Wall and was a project in 1362 to give the poor some work to do in exchange for food. Anyway, it blocked the view and I didn't feel like going up the tower.

There's a few more churches and neighborhoods I could explore but I'm feeling Pragued-out. I'm ready to move onto the next thing and settle in my apartment in Rome. I'm hoping for only 1 or 2 roommates. Hopefully they are fun and interesting. I think I could have as many as 4 other roommates so I guess we'll see when I arrive. It does improve the odds that one of them might be a compatible friend.

No comments: